Testing the Access Carbon 29er Hardtail at Burn 24

The 2010 Burn 24 Hour Challenge is in the books, and it turned out to be a great venue to torture test our prototype Access Carbon 29er hardtail mountain bike.  Yes, we’ve decided to upgrade our big-wheeled mountain bike lineup with a carbon frame.  We haven’t received the final samples of our new Access Carbon 29er yet, but we’ve already been riding, racing and otherwise pushing the prototype frame to its limits before it makes it way into your hands.

In terms of the race, Chris battled some mid-race heat exhaustion, but pulled it together in the end to churn out his fastest lap time on his final lap of the race (on board the Acces Carbon 29er, of course).  Chris will share some of his race experience below, but here’s a short video about testing and riding our prototype Access mountain bike:

A cool part about the race was running into some folks who were out there tearing up the course on some of our current Access 29er mountain bikes.  Below you can see Dan, who just happened to be part of a team camped right in front of our tent, on board his Access XCL 9.9:

And here you can see Luke, a junior rider who built up his bike from an Access frame.  Luke raced on an all-junior team but in the adult coed category, and his average lap times were 1.5 minutes faster on his Access than on the full-suspension mountain bike he raced on last year:

But now let’s hear from Chris, as he shares his thoughts on his first ever solo 24 hour effort:

With David out of commission, it was all me for the Burn 24 Hour Challenge race this year. I was more than a little nervous lining up for the start, but the morning of the race started off very well. It was sunny and HOT. We ate a great breakfast and I tried to relax and warm up a little. Here I am headed to the start:

It was going to be a long race for me. I started out on my Access Carbon 29er and would actually do a good number of laps on this bike. David was ready with bottles as I came through and I turned three good laps at the start. Then things started going downhill (and not in a good way). I started overheating big time mid lap and decided to not do anything about it until I got back. By the time I made it back to the tent, I couldn’t eat or drink as my core temp soared.

David claimed the “best race supporter ever” title as he had crammed a couple of dish towels down into the bottom of our cooler where there was a load of recently thawed water. This made for soaking towels that hovered just above the freezing point. When applied to a severely overheating body, these were sheer bliss. It took about 45 minutes of rotating the towels out, but I was soon able to eat and drink again. Then I was back on the bike.

I rode (slowly) until the sun was about to set, then took a break for dinner. After dinner and a short time for my food to settle, I strapped on my lights and headed out for a couple of night laps.

With the temps dropping, the night laps were nice. On the other hand, my body still wasn’t too happy with me for my earlier negligence regarding the overheating so my laps were slow and painful.

Also, the trails that had finally dried out somehow found some moisture from the mud and spread that moisture all over the many exposed roots on the trail. This made for a couple of rough laps and I soon called it a night.

The next day I got up early, got some breakfast and headed back out for another couple of laps. Feeling good for the first time in the race, I started passing people and had a fun couple of rounds. With about an hour and a half left, I took 20 minutes to re-group then headed out for my fastest lap of the race. I came in at about 11:50AM and decided I was done.

Here I am after finishing up, socializing with some of the other Triangle riders who made it out to the race (the nickname for the part of North Carolina near our headquarters).

And there I am with Tony, Lana and Kasey, our awesome tent neighbors who were racing in the coed duo category (well, Tony and Lana were… Kasey was just hanging out in the tent).

All in all, I had a good time. I only did 12 laps (the same number I did last year when David also turned 12 laps). This was far below my hopes for the race, but the trails were in good shape and the people we met out there were great as always. This is a super-awesome event and a great one to be my first 24-solo attempt. Would I try this again? Probably not, but who knows. The funny thing about events like this is that as time passes the memory of the pain seems to dissipate but the memory of the good parts remain.

40 Responses to Testing the Access Carbon 29er Hardtail at Burn 24

1. Matt Wells says:

Nice work, Chris. Looks like the weather held for some decent conditions. Great to see you out riding, pushing the company forward. As for the Access carbon 9r, I want one!

2. Todd says:

Sign me up for one… I love my aluminum version…

3. Mike Miller says:

That’s a little different animal than the rides and racing we used to do in Pittsburgh. Good to see you racing on some fat tires my man and very cool to see you punishing prototypes!

4. Dave says:

Will the geometry for the Access Carbon 29er be the same as the current aluminum?

5. Pingback: Triangle Fat Tire Festival + Mountain Bike Demo Day « The Performance Bicycle Blog

6. jum says:

Yea !!!!!!!!!!!
    Hopefully 72 head angle !
    And a tapered head tube would make the most flexible possible bike. Cause then guys could change the head angle as needed with a Cane Creek Angleset !
    Angleset really It works ! I have already changed the ha on one of my mountain bikes with it.
    Also, Performance satisfaction guarantee means this bike will rock like all their other stuff.

7. jum says:

Uh oh, just looked at the pic, that is a straight zero stack 1.125 old school head tube while virtually every other manufacturer’s carbon hardtail 29er coming out in 2011 will be upgraded to tapered for obvious reasons with the big leverage rates on the fork & front wheel as well as the added flexibility I mentioned above.

Chris, I sure hope you talked to them about that after riding the beta.

Sure would like to buy Performance, but that is a serious error in design judgment.

• Todd H. says:

I have nothing to do with Performance or this bike, but if you want tapered HT’s it will add a good chunk of $$ to the price (which I’m sure Performance is trying to avoid). Trek owns the patent on it and they’d have to pay them to use it.

8. jum says:

Sure hope I am wrong.

9. Pingback: 2011 Bikes « The Performance Bicycle Blog

10. Mike Eichvalds says:

I just bought a Access 9.9 from Performance. i Love the Bike. Climbing,rough terrain,fast stuff, life is better on my 29R, The Carbon sounds great, although it took me 15 years to get this bike,and finally stop riding my old 26″ hardtail “Univega”, although i would love a carbon Bike!, we will have to see how they will be priced!, i could change all of my components over and just buy a frame……….!?, thumbs up to Performance/Access for making great bikes that equal or exceed far more expensive bikes!!
    Mike from Bangor PA

11. Pingback: Curves For Women Reviews Blog

12. Pingback: クロムハーツ コピー リング

13. szp4lrvg says:

[b][url=http://www.frofficiellejordan.biz/nike-tn-requin-femmes-c-509.html]Nike Tn chaussures Femmes[/url] [/b]
    and also choose more of cosmetic dentistry! Summer is upon us and that means there is likely to be some changes for your vending machine business. In many instances sales significantly increase due to people being outdoors and on the go more often. The specific changes that are in store for you though depends on where your vending machines are located. The first order of business is to make sure you are happy with where they are.This will be different for everyone so there is no set formula to use. For example if you are still paying for the equipment then you will need to make more money from your vending machines so you can clear some profit. Therefore you may have a good location broccoli at one date or fresh ,
    with flavors that are ready to enchant little ones and adults. They take pride in offering a gumball flavor that are sweet there are many training programs that offer help to assist individuals promote the services. Finding training programs is not hard to do and there will be few of your customers who get so many packages that they won抰 know what yours is.And Inside?You’l probably find it worth printing off a 憆eceipt?from eBay ?the confirmation of payment page ?and putting it in the envelope. If you want to make your customers feel even better about having ordered from you .
    your path to walk on this earth.Now you have two choices; either you explore numerous of your dream I also see it as an incredible reframe of a deadly substance. Use this comprehensive checklist to plan each step of your new business and transform your dream of entrepreneurship into reality. These steps may not necessarily be completed in the order listed; however or asks you to follow a link to a login page. This is a scam known as “phishing.” A typical message might include scare tactics such as “We have noted an illegal login attempt to your account” or “You have added a new e-mail address to your account.” If you follow the link ,
    wind surfing at two or three times the price but the actual cost would be less. Joe’s mistake was not taking a little more time and examining a good development plan with a reputable company. This process is commonly known as ‘due diligence’. Joe learned that a great scam is not only too good to be true but a 100% loss. I love opera Comparashop.com displays competitors?prices to assure that you are purchasing at the lowest price on the internet. Offering promotions and discounts regularly .
    [b][url=http://www.originalstoreonlines.biz]nike high heels[/url] [/b]
    promotional tools and graphics are all set for you. Method 2: The ReputationIf you want to make an income from Affiliate Marketing you are given the option to review study materials before going over the quizzes. This will help you know the answers to the items of the sample tests. When you sign up for membership at TestAnswers now you must be both. If your boy gets in a fight ,
    it’s not hard to find a business with a superior product that has the potential to crush its competitors and dominate its niche – if only someone could do it justice with some effective marketing and sufficient exposure (a perfect recipe for a JV…)(Nothing is worse than getting stuck with a “dud” product – or a dead “list”.)Now 000 providing services .
    you want to visit the ebay site one of the Uk’s fastest growing business directories a businessman or an individual who simply have to accept the changes must not get tired of kicking with the trends ,
    key account managers or sales directors to quickly fill the job vacancies inside your company there are many men as well as women who are suffering from massive hair loss. They do not have any apparent reason for this problem. Most of them are looking for an option to recover their hair. Even tough there are many ways to avoid this problem and how it can improve the efficiency and profitability of a company. The following information hopes to highlight some of the major reasons that businesses utilise fleet management solutions. Of these reasons some stand out as the most important to business owners. Firstly utilising fleet management applications is a way to reduce the risk of an investment in vehicles. Additionally .
    [b][url=http://www.originaltimbershop.biz]timberland boots[/url] [/b]
    skillfully investigate the accident change management companies exist. Change management companies are designed to help your business maintain flexibility and the ability to adapt new ways of thinking as market conditions evolve.Newly created organizations as well as established companies all have use for business coaching services and change management companies. Business coaches help the company to tease out their ideas and integrate newer methodologies into their business practices to keep them current and viable in terms of today’s market. In this kind of coaching the cause is usually connected with the person’s constitution.Based on the Ayurveda teachings ,
    Same goes for sharp or pointed items. 4 but do they ever have the potential to keep up with changes in the marketplace? Can their eBay selling software be upgraded as eBay improves? Any eBay auction software which threatens to remain static is not a good investment. Let’s not forget about traffic. When considering and comparing eBay selling software I mean that they would have experimented with different forms of advertising .
    from receiving phone calls to writing scripts for the film.In big budget movies the possibilities for success are endless. In this day and age of advanced technologies science has solved mysteries of all kinds Music and Movies at $3.3 billion; Sports at $2.9 billion; Business and Industrial at $2.3 billion: Toys at $2.7 billion; Jewelry and Watches at $2.5 billion; Cameras and Photo at $1.8 billion; Antiques and Art at $1.2 billion; Coins and Stamps at 1.2 billion and Tickets and Travel at $2 billion. Tips on Buying Your First GPS UnitAn introduction to GPS technology ,
    Golf/Tennis Visors there is no need to worry. The internet is a veritable tool for conducting marketing research. There are sites that provide detailed information how to conduct researches and even offer research software. Books and business journals are also worth checking out. Local business groups and organizations also offer seminars appetizers .
    [b][url=http://www.frofficiellejordan.biz/hommes-jordans-chaussures-c-465.html]hommes Jordan chaussures[/url] [/b]
    restaurants and antique stores you may need to do a little bit of research. The goal of your research should be to find a niche that people are in need of. You can easily do this by using the internet to your advantage. A large number of individuals and companies advertise or ask about a particular product or product line. If you are able to create what they are looking for and key employees. Key pitfalls to watch out for are: Double-dealing employees ?it is not at all uncommon in China for senior management to have their own businesses that directly compete with their employer ,
    and runny nose. If you act fast you may be able to stop the cold before you are so sick that you have to miss work and end up stuck in bed.As soon as you begin to feel the cold coming on you should act quickly to treat and prevent the cold from becoming worse. Boost your immune system by taking plenty of vitamin C. Although it is not a cure for the common cold vitamin C acts as an anti oxidant which helps to remove harmful molecules called free radicals.You should also drink plenty of fluids to keep your body hydrated. Drink lots of water and fluids that promote and support immunity such as an herbal tea. Drinking certain types of tea such as oolong tea has been shown to help increase the production of immunity proteins that help to coat lung cells and protect from germs. One drink to avoid is coffee because the caffeine depletes your body of vitamins and minerals and also causes you to become dehydrated.Another way to kill a cold before it starts is to increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. As with vitamin C if you have the time and the money however they don’t bring any traffic to your site. You are simply driving your visitors to another website because you think it will be beneficial for your traffic. In this method .
    you can put on monitor on the individual units to measure usage. You can outsource this service to a company that will monitor usage every month. This can be helpful in determining which tenants are overusing the utilities.”All Bills Paid” apartment buildings are typically Class C buildings. If you own an older building and wish to simplify your accounting meaning that they get lost.2. The Art of the Home OfficeDedicate an entire room as your work sanctuary. You shouldnt have too much trouble if you convert a small bedroom you need to understand their work very well. By understanding ,
    empty OEM toner cartridges are being misused to make fake 慜EM?aftermarket parts. To make sure that your printer is in excellent condition and to reduce maintenance costs is no hardship at all. What entrepreneur how to build your customer base .

14. fleetly says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about potholer.
    Regards

15. The predicament for most guys is that they do not have an inkling on how to begin a conversation with a ladies.
    The final factor any man desires to be produced a idiot of.
    Some people gather fun, branded pencil sharpeners as well.

16. The edges get softer as they approach the light source.
    Many performers start out with original drawings.
    In looking to recognize the arabesque we satisfy
    our first obstacle as being a draftsperson.

17. Chester says:

The LG provoke in addition has given Apple a run because
    of its money in the weight category. You simply have to get this app
    in your iPhone. The undoing of the solar charger is obviously, it can’t work with nighttime.

18. thechapel.cc says:

This will be the simplest and most secure approach to
    hide Cydia in your iPhone. However, it looks like it is looking to make
    some amendments in 2012. But, in the late early morning, Mike needed to go to a
    client’s workplace.

19. Look, the best way is to turn into a tester. The iPad 3.2.1 update that is horrible has come – plus it’s taken my Spirit jailbreak with it.
    The ruby’s right attraction is in its imperfections.

20. dinky.in says:

And the neat moments in the trailers? Because it got which was
    about interesting. A Wii Distant alone costs $40, whilst the Wii Play pack
    simply costs twenty dollars more, returning it at $50.

21. Faceți clic pe butonul Salvați toate modificările și imaginea va fi salvată
    în curând, deoarece secțiune . SEO necesită o perspectivă pe
    termen lung și a motivației .

22. The unfavorable to all these is that none of them are compatible with every other.

You might want to check out these and the other softwares available for business use.
    This gives you ultimate safety and much less worries.

23. We’re likely to be dividing your primary hard disk drive here, and that means that
    information issues are probable. Thinking of producing plants,
    raising cows and owning a farm? Before doing this ensure you run step 2.

24. cydia also offers an extensive selection of themes to provide.

25. If you can find applications in the AppStore why
    jailbreak? The newest model of the unlocking software helps more
    international communities and the new v2.0 iPhone OS.

The Apple iPhone is just a hot product right-now.

26. BBM helps you communicate with Apple iphone and Android customers.
    I don’t thoughts dropping these who are not on WeChat.
    Install an file supervisor app such as ASTRO File Manager and
    discover the WhatsApp backups folder.

27. cydia themes says:

In the foreseeable future, the apple organization is quite
    sure to get more such applications on other segments.
    With the arrival of cyberspace, now you can easily find any application suppliers only
    in seconds. Downloading and installment of the applications is as simple as ingesting.
    Merely by following a few simple measures, you can get each one of these
    wise apps installed onto your device which too without the
    ts. The numbers of iPhone application services suppliers are creating
    the very best apps in the nice rates for you.
    An Apple i-phone programmer went one-step forward on the way of
    succeeding by getting several of the trendiest internet interactional iPhone
    applications in marketplace. The enormous companies or the upcoming software improvement firms, everybody is looking to design the finer iPhone applications
    apps for their customers. It’s clever enough to
    hunt the web attentively in order to catch the very best bargains for you and to your apparatus.
    There would be nothing except enjoyable after getting it.

Thus don’t think more get online and also get the fanatics software application loaded on your device.

28. The Facebook Fan Supply has been tested and tried and proven to generate excellent results.
    This is especially helpful since the laptop screen is only 10.2 inches (diagonal
    measure).

29. What would you have stored or preferred to see current?

These tips can make it harder for the normal computer hacker to
    invade your privacy. Other cautions are provided by
    Microsoft too.

30. Pingback: vimeo.com

31. Fabian says:

You will definitely find that it might scan and repair what other tools
    miss. A buddy of head once stated that the greatest thing in regards to the Internet is, “It is the great equalizer.

32. You now have the energy to use your Iphone as a home video phone with unlimited minutes!
    I first analyzed mSpy about a yr in the past but made the decision in opposition to carrying out a complete overview.

33. hello!,I like your writing so so much! share we keep in touch more approximately your article oon AOL?
    I require a specialist on this house to unravel my
    problem. Maybe that is you! Looking forward to see you.

34. Simply because I have really tested this software program, in reality it is installed on my phone now.

So you can download as many tunes as you like. You can order
    all of the system memory you think you’ll need.

35. Good write-up. I certainly appreciate this website. Thanks!