As a cyclist, you contribute to environmental sustainability every time you ride. But in honor of Earth Day, it’s great to know some facts about the benefits of cycling (especially bicycle commuting) that you can share with friends and coworkers. For instance, did you know…
- A four-mile round trip by bicycle prevents the production of 15 lbs of air pollution.
- A seven mile daily commute by bicycle instead of by car saves almost 9 pounds of hydrocarbons, more than 66 pounds of carbon monoxide, 4.4 pounds of oxides of nitrogen and 1319 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
- If just one out of every 10 commuters who now drive to work switched to bicycling, the savings would amount to 2 billion gallons of gasoline per year and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 25.4 million tons.
- 8 bicycles can be parked in the space required for just one car.
- According to the US Department of Energy, more than 50% of the working population in the US lives within 5 miles of the place they work.
- Although more than 60% of all trips are 5 miles or less, fewer than 1% are actually made by bicycle.
- One-fourth of all trips people make are one mile or less, yet three-fourths of these short trips are made by car.
The more that we all talk about the benefits of cycling, the more people we can get cycling for National Bike Month in May! Here at Performance, we work hard to make our company greener every day. As the nation’s largest cycling retailer, we’re proud of our efforts to make every day Earth Day by employing sound environmental practices as a responsible corporate citizen. Our green initiatives include:
- Recycling paper, plastic & corrugated company-wide.
- Donating old PCs to charity and sending toner cartridges and ribbons back to vendors to be reused.
- Using environmentally responsible packaging.
- Printing our catalogs on paper manufactured with Sustainable Forestry Initiative-certified content.
- Practicing energy conservation in stores & corporate offices.
- Encouraging bike commuting, car-pooling and use of public transportation by our associates and other organizations.
- Developing tire, tube and chain recycling programs for eventual implementation at Performance Bicycle retail stores nationwide.
- Complying with LEED-CI certification requirements wherever possible in the construction of our new retail stores.
We can all make a pledge to do more this Earth Day:
- Participate in Earth Day activities in our communities.
- Renew our commitments to enhancing sustainability in every way that we can.
- Reduce our carbon footprints even further by riding our bikes instead of driving whenever possible.
To learn more about Earth Day and its history visit Earth Day Network.